Stan James was formally a privately-owned company founded in 1973. In 2015, the online operation joined the Kindred group, one of the largest betting companies in the world, which includes Unibet.
They were one of the first companies to focus on and specialise in betting in-running and this is still an area in which they are very strong. Overall the website is quick, functional and easy to use and although the bright – some would say lurid – shade of green might not be to everyone’s taste nobody can doubt that the site performs well.
Much of the company’s operation is in Gibraltar, including the call centre, and this is where the business is licensed and regulated.
Please note - Stan James closed down at the end of February 2018. All existing customers were migrated over to Unibet.
NagMe Horse Racing Alerts
Signing up for something called nag me might initially seem like a bad idea but it could prove very useful to you. This facility, available at Stan James, combines an alert service with horse racing form and statistics.
You can be automatically informed when horses, jockeys or trainers of your choice are about to run. This could be handy if you are waiting for a particular horse to reappear, or you simply have a favourite trainer and/or jockey. You can also make and save your own notes to refer back to at a later date. This could be useful if you notice that a horse is unlucky in running or has a costly missed break for example.
Powered by the Press Association, this area of the site also gives you racecards, form, spotlight verdicts, results, predictions and the current live odds if available.
The Tipping Game is Stan James’ horse racing forum and is has some interesting features. You can log on and view others user’s comments and picks for each race, you can also leave your own. You will also be able to follow your favourite tipsters. You can see which horses are the most tipped that day or you can look at the comments and tips for each individual race.
One of the main features of this part of the site is the ability to win free bets if you are the top tipster. Daily and monthly prizes are given, as well as during major horse racing festivals. Monthly prizes range from between £5 and £100 in free bets with £5 and £10 free bets given for the daily prizes. A leaderboard shows up-to-date info on who is currently in the lead.
As mentioned, Stan James is a leader in betting in-play and their in-running console, like the rest of the site, works really well. It has its own dedicated area within the site, making bets really easy to find and eliminating any possibility of getting confused between in-play and pre-event. The range of markets, odds, statistical support and live streaming options for in-play betting are also excellent.
Stan James also offer casino, games, live dealer and poker suites, meaning whatever you like to play there are plenty of options. Moreover, they offer mobile gaming too so you can place bets and use the casino on the move.
Overall their odds are pretty good, especially on some of the bigger football matches, and apart from offering a slightly bigger free bet there isn’t much we would change about Stan James. They are one of the best companies around in offering ongoing promotions and offers to accompany the big events and in many ways this makes up for the relatively small welcome bonus.
Their customer service is available 24/7 by live chat, phone or email and their communication is always friendly and efficient and we never had to wait long to access live chat. They offer loads of event commentaries and live streams via their site, as well as stats and tips and so all in all we give Stan James a very big pat on the back.
You can deposit using major debit cards, eWallets – PayPal, Neteller and Skrill and by using Paysafecard. You can also make payments by direct bank transfer.
- Minimum Deposit – This is £5 for all methods with the exception of Paysafecard which has a minimum deposit of £10.
- Minimum Withdrawal – The smallest amount that you can withdraw is £10 across all payment methods apart from direct bank transfer which has a £100 minimum.
- Withdrawal Time – Debit card withdrawals will take between 3-5 days. PayPal, Neteller and Skrill withdrawals will typically take 24 hours.
- Fees – Stan James will not apply charges to most payments. They do reserve the right to charge Skrill withdrawals 3% if the full balance is withdrawn where bets do not reflect the deposit amount, to cover the transaction cost.
- Bonus Exclusions – Funds deposited using Neteller or Skrill will not be eligible for the welcome bonus, free bet refund bonuses or best odds guaranteed.
Licence & Contact
- Live Chat – Via website
- Email – [email protected]
- Telephone – UK: 08000 35 11 36 (freephone), Mobile: 020 7257 8402 (local/national rate), Non UK: +350 200 44 002
- Post – Stan James, The Square, Marina Bay, Gibraltar
- Licence Details – UK Gambling Commission 43062
- Company Name – SJU Limited
- Registered Company Address – Suite 2B, 143 Main Street, Gibraltar, GX11 1AA